Friday, March 26, 2010

"Not because we have to"

My earliest memory is of being at his house in Minnesota. All of my brothers and Peder and Eric got to go to a Twins game, and I was sick as a dog throwing up in their basement. I stayed home watching Quigley's village. They all came home with souveniers. I remember being jealous.
I remember playing capture the flag in their backyard in Homewood, using old socks as the flags, and learning how to play Mao from him and having to say "I am batman" any time we played the 5 card or something like that.
I remember his mom telling me how she and Peder always watched Everwood together and I thought to myself, "What kind of teenage boy watches Everwood?"
I remember reconnecting with him at Pilgrim Pines. Picking him up at the airport as an almost stranger. Childhood "friends" who really had nothing in common. The real friendship quickly started. As we drove to the Pines with my mom, he made fun of me because I had to stop and pee so many times. And when we stopped at friendly's for lunch he was flabbergasted that I didn't want dessert at the end of my meal. (For those of you who knew Peder, you knew his favorite meal was desert.)
I remember bingo nights at the VFW and him always making fun of my dry, cracked hands.
I remember putting my feet in his face just to make him mad.
I remember spending lots of time with him on instant messenger convincing him to come to North Park, and being so excited when he did.
I remember the dance party at Steve's house, and Peder dancing in one spot because his foot was injured.
I remember watching Beauty and the Geek every week and mercilessly making fun of the idiot girls on the show.
I remember sitting with Peder on the lifeguard stand when it was a rainy day and no one was swimming. We spent an hour talking about what we might name our future children (and I realize that sounds like we were having children together, but you know that is not what I mean) He also talked about how he wanted 1 daughter and she would be his "princess". I'm so sorry that you will never have that daughter, Peder.
I remeber teaching Jr. High with Peder at camp, and how he always wanted to teach a lesson to the kids about finance. He tried it once. It lasted about 3 minutes before the kids started yellin at him.
I remember going to Margarita's with his parents and my parents and laughing because our moms both got beer and our dads both got girly drinks.
I remember going to friendlys when he ordered a bowl of peanut butter and chocolate syrup. You should have seen the look on the waitress' face. =)
I remember Peder and Alissa trying to cut my hair. It actually turned out quite nice, but Peder kept saying things like, "is this right?!" and it made me nervous. He also commented on my split ends.
I remember at the end of the summer,in room 15 hearing Taryn talk about liking Peder and being so excited.
At my wedding, he came up to me and offered me a glass of water. I thought it was so sweet. Later, I found out that it was Luke Johnson's idea and he was surprised I took the whole glass, instead of taking a sip and giving it back.
My favorite memory of Peder is from our first summer at camp. The whole staff was writing notes to each other on sheets of paper that were encouragement or memories and he wrote, "I'm glad we will be able to go to each other's weddings because we are friends, not because we have to". I am so glad Peder got to come to my wedding. And I am so sorry that I will never go to his.

Love you Peder! You are already missed.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing those memories Mary. He is definitely already missed and we know how incredibly loved he was. Thinking of you and your family a lot during this time. I will see you soon and I love YOU so very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hands have been super dry lately, and every time I moisturize, I think of Peder. And I remember falling asleep in 15, with Tare not being there, and waking up so excited to hear about her night with Peder. And I was in the room when he and Liss were cutting your hair. Ha! So many memories...

    ReplyDelete