Sunday, October 10, 2010
To Kill a Mockingbird
Yesterday, I was bored, so I picked up To Kill a Mockingbird off of the bookshelf. I never read it in highschool. When Nick and I started dating and he found out that I had never read it, told me I was crazy, and sent me a copy in the mail when I was in Connecticut. I think I read it in 2 days. Rereading it again, I think I can safely say it is my all-time favorite book. It is so well written and so fun to see the world through the eyes of a very smart and imaginative kid. It also takes places in the deep South, which for some reason facinates me so much as a historically minded person. It deals partly with race relations in the South, which is another thing that I am perpetually interested in and confused by. I also love it because it was one of my mom's favorite books as a kid (well movie, actually) I don't know if any of you are familiar with the story, but there is a scary house on the corner where these kids live and there is a man named Boo Radley who lives inside who never comes out. The kids' imaginations go wild and they try and peek in the windows and all of this stuff. My mom loves to tell a story about her counsins at their lakehouse as a kid (which is actually in the town right next to where Kristin lives in Michigan) At the end of the street, there was this creepy house that was boarded up and they never saw anyone come or go from it. My mom and her cousins used to pretend that it was Boo Radley's house and used to creep around it, leave Boo notes, and peek in the windows. So anyway, I love this book, because when I read it, it has so many dimensions. I haven't read a book for fun for a while and I forgot how much fun a great book can be. (Nerd Alert!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment